Oceaneering Designer II, Temporary in Chesapeake, Virginia
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification (DSS-SOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair, maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E;) systems.
*For more information please go to *www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Marine Services Division (MSD).
The Designer applies creative design skill, knowledge of manufacturing techniques, and Computer Aided Design Drafting practices to the generation of layout, assembly, and detail drawings for structural, mechanical, piping, electrical, and electronic equipment of moderate complexity for a variety of OII-MSD projects. The Designer may also prepare sketches and other graphic information for use within technical documents (e.g. Operations and Maintenance Manuals) and proposals.
Duties & Responsibilities
Expectations of this function are:
- Self-motivated, focused individual with strong attention to detail and high ethical standards.
- Performs basic engineering tasks and conventional design that may be varied in nature.
- Ability to read and interpret blue prints, and SUBSAFE requirements.
- Ability to work as part of team of managers and technical personnel and support multiple projects.
- Strong organizational skills and analytical / logical approach.
- Ability to synthesize diverse information (technical, schedule) and exercise good judgment.
- Good technical judgment and some independent evaluation, originality and ingenuity are expected.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- With minimal instructions, prepares solid models (SolidWorks part and assembly level), complete layout and detail drawings, including application of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, for moderately complex equipment or mechanisms.
- Performs independent, original design and interacts with engineering and manufacturing personnel to ensure performance and efficiency of manufacture, assembly, and integration.
- Can validate technical accuracy and completeness of all modelling and drafting
- Tasking may include: preparing engineering drawings, layout and detailed design of mechanical systems using drafting techniques (AutoCAD or SolidWorks)
- Selecting various electrical and mechanical components to meet performance requirements.
- May interface with clients.
* OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED*
- Prepare illustrations for technical documentation.
- Support engineering activity with solid modeling to prepare models for export to engineering analysis/simulation software including merging and meshing of parts and application of load vectors under the direction of Senior Designer, Lead Designer or Design Supervisor.
* POSITIONS SUPERVISED*
- Directly Supervised:None
- Indirectly Supervised:None
- Immediate Supervisor: Design Supervisor
- Supervision will primarily consist of: prioritization of tasks; monitoring f progress against schedule; review of work for compliance with OII-MSD and customer requirements; review for compliance with engineering analysis results; and review for efficiency/compatibility of manufacturing/integration-related issues. Some direction for appropriate modeling technique and drawing content and format required. Type of Supervision:
- Associate Degree in related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Formal Training in use of solid modeling software (i.e. SolidWorks).
- Two to five years applied drafting experience, preferably in Marine Design.
- Proficiency using software such as AutoCAD and experience in solid modeling software (i.e. SolidWorks) required.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Office products required. Technical writing skills are helpful.
- Preferred: Working knowledge of U.S. Navy specifications and requirements related to Structural, Mechanical and Electrical drawings.
- Familiarity with ASME Y14 drafting standards.
- Familiarity with Solidworks EPDM is not required but preferred.
- Candidate will have to perform in an ISO-9000 rated company in a rapidly changing and demanding atmosphere.
- Must be able to obtain a U.S. DOD Secret Security Clearance.
- The Oceaneering Marine Services Division facilities can currently employ "US Persons". Your eligibility to work at this facility and/or transfer to other Oceaneering locations will be limited if you are not a US Citizen or are a dual citizen of another country. (The EAR and the ITAR definitions of a “U.S. person” is a “citizen or intending citizen” means an individual who is (1) a citizen or national of the U.S., (2) a lawful permanent resident, (3) admitted as a refugee, or (4) granted asylum.)
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Designer II, Temporary
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Job ID: 12595
Full/Part Time: Full-Time